I found this awesome Foodie Penpals idea over at The Lean Green Bean, and I think it’d be great to bring it to the UK – or possibly even Europe, if the interest was there. I’d love to hear your thoughts on it, and to know if you’d be interested. Here’s the rough outline of how it works in the US and Canada right now – and work it does! Lindsay has been running the program for six months, and she’s gaining participants all the time.
- All interested parties – bloggers and blog readers alike – sign up by email
- Participants are matched and a spreadsheet is drawn up to show you who your penpal for the month is. I love spreadsheets, this appeals to me a lot
- Penpals get in touch with one another via their blogs or email, to check postal addresses and any food allergies, intolerances or dislikes
- Penpals send thoughtful, food related parcels. They can include home baked treats, shop bought treats (especially local or unusual things), cake cases or decorations – use your imagination. The parcel must include something hand written – a note explaining the box’s contents, a recipe card, whatever you like. The price limit for the boxes is $15 (I’d say £10 or less would be good for our version)
- Penpals open boxes and rejoice!
- At the end of the month, everyone blogs about their box, or writes a guest blog post if they are usually a blog reader and not writer. Everyone reads one another’s posts and rejoices some more
More info is available at The Lean Green Bean. Would really love your comments below, and would also really appreciate you spreading the word on Facebook, Twitter or your own blogs (or to people you meet in real life) so that we can really see if there’s enough friendly bloggers to get this show on the road! If you could link back here so that we can have everyone’s thoughts all in one place, I’d be delighted.
Bloggers and blog readers, unite under the promise of parcels in the mail!